Type of trail: mountain bike
Point of departure and arrival: Sinio’s Theatre
Length: circa 10 km
Soil: asphalt and dirt tracks
Our tour to discover Sinio starts from the theatre (A), the former seat of the Disciplinati Brotherhood. At the beginning of the 20th century, it was turned into a theatre room and in the 90s it became a proper theatre. Inside you can admire a beautiful painting, “Stage effect”, by painter Walter Accigliaro. The theatre company that works here is called Compagnia del nostro teatro di Sinio.
We continue towards the church of San Frontiniano (B), which was rebuilt between 1821 and 1825 by Carlo Emanuele Rangone from Montelupo, over the foundations of the old medieval church. This rococo church has a Greek cross plant and a horseshoe-shaped apse; the bell tower is still the original one. At the left side chapel you can admire the altar-piece representing Santa Elisabetta, an art piece of 1891 by painter Rodolfo Morgari.
On the wall of the Castle of Sinio (D) we notice the high relief by Umberto Mastroianni, the Mastroianni monument (C), which the sculptor gave the village in 1975 on the occasion of the thirtieth anniversary of the Resistenza. The castle was commissioned by the marquis Franceschino del Carretto after 1448 in order to replace the medieval manor house. The castle used to have a quadrangular tower until the 20th century but when the last Vassallo di Castiglione earls sold the building, it became a rural house and the tower was demolished. On the elegant entrance there is a beautiful fresco representing the Virgin Mary and the Child with Sant’Antonio Abate and San Sebastiano. The author is unknown but the style is attributable to the “Scuola del monregalese”, a frescos school of the 15th century. The building was modified after 1897 but it still keeps its distinguishing features. The castle is now a prestigious hotel.
On the same square we see the chapel of San Sebastiano (E). It was built in 1631 but in 1930 it was converted into a community oratory and hosted the Disciplinati Brotherhood for a while. In 1982 the theatre company decided to renovate it in occasion of its 10th anniversary since its constitution, so the chapel turned into the technical lab of the company and the pro loco.
Our tour continues towards Gabutto hamlet where we reach the panoramic point of the Strada Romantica (G). From here we can enjoy an amazing view, which ranges different villages, such as Montelupo, Diano d’Alba, Grinzane Cavour, Roddi, Verduno, La Morra, Castiglione Falletto, Serralunga d’Alba, Perno di Manforte, Novello, Roddino, Serravalle Langhe e Albaretto della Torre, and many castles among the vineyards. Going back on our way we encounter the Fatima wayside shrine (H), which was probably built in 1800 by Count Vassallo, the owner of the castle. The shrine has a triangular shape and each side has an alcove with a painting, some of which are damaged. However, the painting of the Vergin Mary is still recognizable
Once we’ve crossed the Talloria stream we walk on the road towards Serralunga and we stop at the panoramic viewpoint, from where we can spot the castle of Serralunga and the village of Sinio.
We continue the tour reaching the chapel of Sant’Antonio da Padova (I), set on the viewpoint on the road which leads to Alba. It was renewed in the 90s by the community of Sinio, it represents a strong popular devotion.